I find myself thinking about lasts. For instance today was my last mom's group in my small town! It's crazy to think about it. I've also come to realize I've had my last birthday here, as well as my last snow day and a smattering of other endings.
I'm not depressed, really. I'm just finding things that are important to me where I live now are coming to a close. I'm glad for some of them. I think I am glad for the last time my in-laws say they are working on the house we live in. I will be glad for the last cleaning of my bathroom counter (it pools water from an unknown source and leaves awful mineral deposits). I will be glad for the last weeding of my large garden.
There are others I will grieve when the full force of moving hits me. I will be sad after the last raspberry is picked and eaten. I will be sad at the last time I tuck my son into his crib in his first room. I will be sad for the last time I gaze upon the bright colors I convinced my in-laws/landlords to let me paint with. I will be sad for the last time we hold our small group at our house as well as the prayer group that meets every Sunday night.
There are good and bad things we will be leaving behind. I am hoping and praying to introduce the good things to our lives again as we move from here to the big city. Things like the simplicity (or complication?) of growing all of our own vegetables, or having a space I can call uniquely my own, or setting up a safe place for my son to play.
I am thinking through my lasts, enjoying to the full the positive ones and grieving those that my heart loves.
SDG
No comments:
Post a Comment